Regulatory Agency

Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks

  • Pratt Operations Office: (620)-672-5911
  • Hays Region 1 Office: (785)-628-8614
  • Topeka Region 2 Office: (785)-273-6740 
  • Wichita Region 3 Office: (316)-683-8069 
  • County Information

License Details


There is no cost associated with this permit

License Duration

The permit is valid from the date it was issued to December 31st of the same year

How to Apply

  • Take an exam at a local County Extension Office
    • Must received a score of 80% or higher
    • If an applicant fails the exam they must wait 30 days before retaking it. The exam cannot be taken more than two times a year
    • If a score of 80% or higher is achieved, that individual does not need to retake the exam for 5 years
  • Fill out the permit application after taking the exam and receiving a score of 80% or higher
  • Applicants shall take a course of instruction approved by the department, which shall include instruction concerning applicable laws and regulations, methods for wildlife control, methods for handling wildlife, and other relevant material, and which shall include eight hours of instruction or the equivalent. 
    • No applicant shall be required to take this course of instruction if the applicant has successfully completed an approved course within the previous five years. 

Renewal and Reporting

The permit will expire on December 31st and must be renewed before expiring

An annual report must be submitted by January 31st

Each report shall contain the following information:  The name and address of the permit holder, the permit number of the permittee, the date of any control activity, the species and number of animals controlled, condition of the wildlife controlled, and the control method or methods used. 

Records should be kept current and available for inspection throughout the year. 

Each wildlife control permittee shall retain the following information for a minimum of three years and shall make this information available for inspection by the department on request: 

  • The name and postal zip code of the legal occupant where control activities were conducted 
  • The disposition of any wildlife taken, including any of the following: 
    • The name and postal zip code of the person in lawful possession of the property where the wildlife was released and the number of wildlife released
    • The method used if wildlife was euthanized
    • The name of any licensed wildlife rehabilitator to whom the wildlife was submitted. 

Laws and Regulations

  • No person shall possess a live species of wildlife taken under the authority of a wildlife control permit beyond the close of the calendar day following capture, unless specifically authorized by the department.
  • Live wildlife shall not be used for display purposes, programs, training dogs, or otherwise kept in captivity, except that pigeons may be used for training dogs.
  • Wildlife may be taken under the authorization of a wildlife control permit only when one or more of the following circumstances exist:  
    • The wildlife is found in or near buildings.  
    • The wildlife is destroying or about to destroy property.
    • The wildlife is creating a public health or safety hazard or other nuisance 
  • Permitees shall advise the person requesting assistance of the proposed control method and the estimated cost before conducting any wildlife control activities. In no case shall the permittee conduct wildlife control activities without the authorization of the person in lawful control of the property. 
  • Must be 16 years old or older to apply for this permit

Laws Regarding Translocation

Wildlife may be released only in suitable habitat located at least 10 miles from the original capture site and only with the prior written permission of the person in legal possession of the release site. 

Wildlife shall not be released in a location so close to human dwellings that the release is likely to result in recurrence of the reason the wildlife was taken.

Wildlife shall not be released within the limits of any municipality without prior written permission from the appropriate municipal authority.  

Trap Tags

Traps must have address of owner, department-issued identification number, and the name of the owner

Hunting and Trapping License

If a firearm will be used as a method of euthanasia, hunting license is required

If furharvesting equipment will be used to trap the animal, a trapping license is required